Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Confederates In the Attic

It's been a couple of weeks since I've had time to blog, but I've been busy doing more research, including reading this incredible book by Tony Horwitz, Confederates in the Attic.  Horwitz basically explores the uniquely Southern obsession with the Civil War, by hanging out with hardcore reenactors and visiting various battlefields.  


He also takes a hard look at the racial overtones and unresolved political issues left over from the war, examining the complicated hangups that still linger almost 150 years later.  It has been valuable to me, simply because it is helping me gain some focus on the intent of my documentary. 


It seems to me that in the case of Sherman's March, a deep and bitter resentment has caused an ongoing willful ignorance in Georgia about the facts of the March.  History has been supplanted by myth, and the end result is a population of people who are not aware of the history of their surroundings.   I want my film to explore why this has happened, and in the end, show how this is being remedied.

No comments:

Post a Comment